Tuesday 3 February 2009

Clunk Clunk Whizz

The greatest fear I have this year other than not doing very well, is making boring work. Therefore as soon as I start to become disinterested in what I'm doing I know I have to revert to what is essential and integral within the work. For me I know that I have to maintain a sense of playfulness and motion in order to keep myself interested. I fear that I am being swayed by various inputs, be them all of valid and authoritative origin, into making something I'm really not that interested in. Have a tutorial tomorrow so will hopefully be a bit more coherent of the possibilities of where I am heading soon. I know what I want to do, which is nice for a change. But if it's a crap idea then I'd like to know, just in a nice way.

I've been thinking about what actually makes me enjoy work that I do and see.
Roughly, and susceptible to change, it is:

- movement, preferably repetitive or circular motion
- involves some kind of low-tech medium, such as cardboard or sheet metals
- being allowed to touch the work or interact with it in someway
- noise, the clankier and repetitive the better, something someone in a Berlin minimalist rave might be able to dance to.

there are always artists and work that I go back to when I have a brain melt:

Jean Tinguely


Gary Hill


G&G


Bas Jan Ader


if it's not funny, i think i've failed.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Your work is great Frances, you shouldn't have these crisis of confidence! Hope the tutorial goes/went well.
Much love
Christina x

http://asensesublime.blogspot.com/